Wednesday 25 January 2012

Youth Olympic Games

Innsbruck by Fernand Metzger
I see that the Youth Olympics Winter Games in Innsbruck finished last week. They ran from January 13th to January 22 and involved athletes from 14 to 18 years old. The first summer Youth Olympic Games (YOG) were held in Singapore in 2010 and the next will be in Nanjing in China in 2014. They are overseen by the International Olympic Committee, like the adult Games, and are part financed by the committee and part by the host city. There’s a long article about them on Wikipedia, pointing out that there is a strong cultural element to them as well as the sporting events. They give my female protagonist, Suzanne, a target to work towards, together with the Commonwealth Games in 2014 in Glasgow. I'm sure, if Themis were alive today, he would be gearing up for Nanjing too ...

Our search for a photo of the statue that we now think of as what Themis looked like goes on. No answer as yet from the owner of our favourite on the internet. I'm in London for five days, so I'll see what I can do here.


No comments:

Post a Comment