Sunday 4 March 2012

Ballet and bridges

At Words by the Water today I went to the session where Deborah Bull talked about her book, The Everyday Dancer. I learned that ballet dancers find it difficult to know when to eat during their busy days because they are supposed to leave four hours between their last meal and class, rehearsal or performance. As their day consists of all three, the only time when they have four hours after a meal is last thing at night.

Deborah Bull is impressive. She is bright and fun and intelligent. She starts this month as Director of King’s College Partners. According to the Royal Opera House's website, she "will continue to work closely with the Royal Opera House ... to deliver the ROH’s Olympic activities, including the free exhibition, The Olympic Journey: The Story of the Games." This exhibition will be staged at the ROH during the London Olympics and will include many artifacts and much material from the Olympic Museum in Lausanne, Switzerland. It will trace the history of the Games from Ancient Greece to the present day. 


Which was one reason I wanted to see Ms Bull's session. As it turned out, the Olympics were not mentioned, but I learned yet more about looking after your body if you want it to perform for you every day, all day. Not that that is something I can ask of mine at this stage in my life ...


However, I did go for a lovely walk between talks - and showers. And the sun did come out later. But I heard a complaint that there weren't many daffodils yet. William Wordsworth has a lot to answer for! 
Here are some of the things I saw as I walked through Keswick:



Derwent Water in the distance

Penrith Road and crocuses

Stone road bridge over River Greta

Spring flowers in the municipal gardens
Causey Pike from an
old railway bridge













Skiddaw from Borrowdale Road

















No comments:

Post a Comment