Saturday 19 January 2013

Ghosts of an Olympic summer ...


On September 28th I wrote a posting about the Olympic aftermath on Blackheath and in Greenwich Park. There were still lots of leftovers then! I quoted my short description of after the Games in The Boy with Two Heads, to point up the differences between the ancient Games in Olympia and our London 2012.



On January 15th, I went again to see how the clear up had progressed. I walked across the Heath and into the Park. The bridge over the busy A2 ...

... is long gone, but its footprint is still visible. 

The Heath outside the Park walls now shows no sign at all of the tents and fences used by the competitors and, later, by the de-struction teams that dismantled the bridge and the stadium.


(from the official London 2012 website
... took a while to disappear altogether. Its footprint ...  
... is now shrinking. The year has turned and soon the grass will grow back.

But I'll never forget the roar of the crowd and the thrill of the Games. What a summer it was!









No comments:

Post a Comment