Saturday 1 March 2014

Those Ancient Greeks are still following me ...

Hello again!

Further to my previous post about those Ancient Greeks following me everywhere, they've been appearing in the oddest places in London ...

Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living".

On the underground ...











statues of 2 men facing each other
at 350 Euston Road, London

... and on the street! 

Hermes (?by Praxiteles) at Olympia
Hermes at Olympia
I couldn't find any reference to the sculptor of these two naked men facing each other through the glass, but I'm sure there was at least some influence  from statues such as the Hermes in the museum at Ancient Olympia. If you know who made the two men, please contact me. 

At present I am reading The Gods of Olympus: A History by Professor Barbara Graziosi. She traces people's attitudes to the twelve gods from their origins before Homer to the Middle Ages, a period of more than 2000 years. In the preface she says, "Like many migrants, they adapted to their new circumstances, while retaining a sense of their distant origins". That seems an appropriate comment on their appearances in our lives today.

artist's representation of Phidias' statue of
Zeus at Olympia, by Sian Frances
And they are still here - with me, at least - as kaleidoscopic and mutable as the human characteristics they represent. They fire my imagination and augment my stories. In fact, today is the second anniversary of the publication of The Boy with Two Heads in which Zeus features so strongly. I have a copy of Sian Frances' painting of him on my noticeboard. 

So now it's more a case of my following the Ancient Greeks, I suppose...



You can contact me via:
Comment on this blog
@JuliaMNewsome on Twitter
'J M Newsome, author' on Facebook

All photos ©Julia M Newsome except Sian Frances' painting (permission to use non-commercially granted)

No comments:

Post a Comment